The Holy Cross Catholic Church is located at Dousland Road, Yelverton, PL20 6PJ. The entrance to the church car park is on the left just before you reach the church.
Sundays: 9 am and 10:30 am
Weekdays and Saturdays: Usually at 10 am, but please check the weekly newsletter.
Holy Days of Obligation: 10 am and 7 pm
History of Holy Cross Church
With the generous help of Lord and Lady Seaton of Buckland Abbey, it was decided to build a small chapel and presbytery in Yelverton for the growing number Catholic residents.
The first structure was small and simple with an entrance where the side door is today. The dedication of Holy Cross was probably marked by a stained glass window donated by Lord and Lady Seaton with the family motto of “A Cruce Salus” (Salvation through the Cross).
This window, now in the rear wall of the church, was probably originally situated in the south wall above the altar. The Seatons and other beneficiaries in the parish gave many other artefacts for use in the chapel.
In 1928 works were undertaken to enlarge the chapel and create a church. A new aisle was added on the south side and a tower with battlements and a graceful spire was built over a new porch and door.
A new presbytery was built during the time of Father (later Canon) Costello after 1956 and the former presbytery now forms part of the parish rooms.
Our benefactors, Lord and Lady Seaton died in 1933 and 1937 respectively and are buried in the cemetery of Buckland Parish Church.